Specialises in gastrointestinal and liver diseases and disorders. The specialist performs an abdominal ultrasound as well as endoscopy (gastroscopy, colonoscopy, rectoscopy) for evaluation and diagnosis of acute and chronic oesophagus, stomach, intestine, pancreas, liver and biliary diseases.
During an abdominal ultrasound, the doctor evaluates the liver, biliary system (gall bladder, bile ducts), pancreas and spleen.
During an endoscopic examination, the internal lining of the oesophagus, stomach, duodenum and colon mucosa is observed. In case of pathological changes (signs of inflammation, ulcers, polyps, tumours), a biopsy (mucosal pieces) will be taken. The biopsy specimen will be sent for histology (to determine whether the lesions are benign or malignant or to determine the nature of the inflammation).
Photo gastroenterologist, dr. G. Semeklis with his patient performs echoscopy test
Refer to the gastroenterologist in case of:
- Acute or prolonged abdominal pain/discomfort
- Gastric and duodenal ulcers diagnosis and treatment
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) diagnosis and treatment
- Helicobacter pylori (stomach bacteria) diagnosis and treatment
- Bowel disorders (diarrhoea, blood and mucus in stool) diagnosis and treatment
- Occult bleeding test (IFOBt), followed by colonoscopy if necessary
- Gastrointestinal tract bleeding (fresh or digested coffee-ground blood in vomitus, fresh or digested black stool, blood in stool)
- Preventive evaluation of the digestive system
- Other concerns related with your digestive system.